- bluee Aravon Womens Standon Fisherman Fisherman Sandal
- Good-memories Spring and Autumn Loafers Women's Flat shoes Handmade shoes Soft Outsole Genuine Leather shoes Women Flats Best Gift
- Step n Style Women's Jutti Traditional Punjabi Mojari Khussa Sandle Us Style Chappal
- ZHRUI Mens Women Hiking shoes Outdoor Camping Sports shoes Breathable Waterproof Mountain Trekking shoes for Couple (color Green, Size 7UK=41 EU)
- Cofra 22300-001.W47 Size 47 S1 P SRC Curtain Safety shoes - Black
- Goodyear Workwear GYBT1536 Mens Waterproof Welted Mid Cut Work Safety Boot S3 SRC, Brown, UK12 EU46
- Vince Men's Scott Chukka Boot
- - Qiusa Boy's Men's Simple Comfort Liferstyle Brown Casual Loafers UK 5.5 (color -, Size -)
- Hummel Women's Diamant Highrise Trainers, Black
- Refresh Footwear Women's Two Strap Slip on Slide Sandal
- My Little Nest Women's Top Handle Satchel Handbag Watercolor Guitar Ladies PU Leather Shoulder Bag Crossbody Bag
- SANOMY Women Winter Warm Fur Ankle Snow Boots Casual Fashion Flat Platform Non-Slip Booties
- Btrada Womens Winter Retro Ankle Boots Warm Fur Lining Lace-up Block Mid Heel Casual Martin Short Booties
- GIY Women's Faux Fur Winter Snow Boots Mid Calf Suede Buckle Slip On Flat Low Heel Wide Warm Snow Boots
- AmoonyFashion Women's High-Heels PU Open-Toe Solid Buckle Sandals, BUSLS005370
- NJ Women Fashion Pointed Toe Block Mid Heel Denim Chelsea Booties Elastic Pull On Comfort Ankle Boots Autumn shoes
- Outdoor Sneakers for Mens Four Season Running shoes Mesh Breathable Outdoor Running Men Increased (color WhiteAndBlack, Size 43)
- NOMIMAS Women Wedges Sneakers Platform Spring Autumn Mesh Breathable Casual Lace-Up Heels Fashion Solid shoes
- SeaVees Mens Men's Monterey Sneaker Saltwash Sneaker
- Women 039 s Sandals Basic Pump PU Summer Wedding Office & Career Party & Evening Basic Pump Lace-up Hollow-out Stiletto Heelblueshing PinkPurpleUS11.5 EU43 UK9.5 CN45
- Highest Heel The Women's Dazzle-11-Gmet Platform Sandal
- Hush Puppies Women's Pynical Rhea Wedge Boot
- ZJEXJJ Men's sports shoes flying woven casual shoes comfortable and breathable running shoes lazy shoes (color Red, Size 5.5 UK)
- Black Women's Boots Spring & Fallr Leather Strap Stiletto shoes Fashion Ankle Boots Ankle Boots Super High Heel Martin Boots Black Beige (color Beige, Size 36)
- Women's Flat Sandals,Beaded Toe Flat Sandals,Summer Beach Party Slip Casual Flip Flops
- Zxcvb Mens Leather Chelsea Boots Formal Casual Ankle Boots Winter Boots warm cotton shoes men's casual high to help cotton shoes large size
- Pikolinos Men's Berlin 1 Moccasins
- ZYFXZ Safety shoes Winter male steel toe cap anti-smash anti-slip anti-slip wear-resistant deodorant lightweight work shoes work boots (Size 39)
- Black (black 51) FRETZ men Men's Scooter Derbys
- LATITUDE FEMME Pumps-shoes Womens Leather Pink 7 US
- Fashion Women shoes Woman Ballet Flats Plaid Cloth shoes Bowknot Comfortable Square Head Casual shoes
- Divaz Womens Ladies Lucca Zip Up Knitted Cuff Ankle Boot
- Vince Camuto Fandy Womens VC-FANDY-Black
- SoftWalk Women's Jacksonville Wedge Sandal
- AmoonyFashion Women's Round-Toe Closed-Toe Low-Heels Pumps-shoes with Carved Flower and Floriation
- Women Fashion Pointed Toe Martin Boots 2018 Winter High-Heel Leather Ankle Boots Size 33-43,Green,34
I’m a big fan of the magical school trope. J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series was one of those life-defining books from high school through the end of college, and Lev Grossman’s The Magicians books came right in after as I was starting my career as a college administrator and writer. Sarah Gailey’s debut novel Magic for Liars is like a third part of that transition, and I blew through the book in just about a day.
The story introduces us to Ivy Gamble, a woman who works as a private investigator, and who has a bit of a secret: her estranged twin sister is a brilliant magician. She’s hired by the headmaster of the Osthorne Academy of Young Mages in California, where her sister works. The two haven’t spoken in years, and when a teacher at the school is found dead in the library, they’re unexpectedly reunited.
Gailey is the author of the American Hippo novellas, and while I loved the concept, I felt that they were a bit weak, character-wise (one of the downsides to Tor.com’s novella line: sometimes, a story is too slimmed down, and could have been a bit longer.) That isn’t a problem here. Gailey brilliantly sets up these two sisters, and Ivy is a phenomenal, bitter character who is pretty much burned out on everything, stemming back to some deep-seated family history that drove her and her sister apart.
This book succeeds in two ways. First, it’s a fantastic mystery, and Gamble, an outsider to this magical community, is the perfect person to solve it, because she can approach it from that unknowledgeable angle, but who knows how perfectly messed up people are, and what sorts of bad decisions they can make. Secondly, it’s a great magical school entry. Hogwarts is delightfully twee, Brakebills College for Magical Pedagogy is realistically cynical, and the Osthorne Academy of Young Mages is… a typical high school. There’s plenty of details that show off that kids — even magical kids, will be immature, do stupid things, are egotistical, and crave attention.
What really makes this book stand out is that it revolves around a couple of things that fantasy (and science fiction, for that matter), typically ignores: wOmEnS IsSuEs. I won’t spoil how this plays out, but it’s a mystery that comes down to teenage and family drama in ways that feels utterly realistic, and I’m guessing entirely relevant and relatable to any woman who picks up this book. Gailey also keeps the mystery entirely fresh throughout the entire read, throwing me off in a couple of places, and nailing the book with a fantastic (and frustratingly ambiguous) ending. She tells me that she’s not planning on a followup, which is also refreshing? There needs to be more standalone novels, although I would dearly love to see more of this particular world.